Contra – the latest release from Vampire Weekend is a poppy, fun, lighthearted, and whimsical musical experience that will satisfy Vampire Weekend cravings of both new and existing fans. This album sounds like it could be the second disk to their previous self titled release. Here are some of my favorites:
- Horchata – This song was probably written after a few glasses of horchata spiked with a with rum or something. The singer reminisces about drinking horchata in December, and finds many words that rhyme with horchata. I really enjoyed it.
- Holiday – sounds very much like A-Punk from their previous release.
- California English – As a transplanted Californian, I like any song about the state where I was born – even if it makes fun of the way we talk.
- Run – If this is mixed right, it could be an instant club hit. It sounds like it has some New Order drums in it.
- Cousins – One of many tunes on this CD that reminds me of Sublime, but istill has that A-Punk Vampire Weekend signature sound.
You can’t go wrong if you pick up this album. It’s just good fun. I enjoyed listening to it at work and in the car. I could see myself jumping up and down, and bouncing around in a music induced frenzy. This has got to be great live. You can listen to all the tracks on Vampire Weekend’s official site.